Thursday, December 29, 2011

December in My Room

I know the holidays are now over, but I never got to share some of the things we did in my first grade classroom. Here's what you missed.

We made reindeer cookies with our third grade book buddies after watching the story, Olive, the Other Reindeer on Tumble Books. This was a cheap and easy food item for them to complete.


 We completed lots of activities with The Gingerbread Man. We read several different versions of the story, made text-to-text connections, did retellings, and completed a venn diagram comparing two of the stories. For morning work one morning, I had my students decorate their own gingerbread person without any direction. I put out copies of a gingerbread person run-off onto brown construction paper and a bin full of construction paper scraps. The one on the left is a gingerbread pirate with his peg leg. Look at how creative they are all on their own.


Our holiday present to the parents was an ornament made out of cinnamon and applesauce. Here is my example of a gingerbread boy that I made last year.


As it turns out, almost all of Kindergarten makes gingerbread man ornaments for their parents, so I switched it up this year. I pulled out my holiday cookie cutters and let them choose which shape they wanted to make.


Here is how they turned out. I let them use fabric paint so they did get a little goopy, since it's hard for them to understand to use "light pressure" when squeezing the bottles. They still came out cute! 



I let them dry for a full 24 hours, added some yarn through the hole, and put them in a clear baggie, tied a ribbon around and attached a poem. Here is the poem I used. I got the poem from another teacher last year so I have no idea where it came from. I just added a graphic and a border to make it cute.


If you're interested in the recipe for the ornaments, I have it here. I only made one batch this year for my twenty students, but mine we're a little thin. Next year, I'll make two batches and roll them out a little thicker.
Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments

We also did a few things for Hannukah. We read factual books about the holiday, fiction stories related to Hannukah, read poems, sang songs, made latkes, and played the dreidel game. Here is an interactive chart I made years ago. The kids like to come up and place the words in their correct spots. It's a bad picture due to the lamination, but you get the idea.



I hope you all had a wonderful holiday. I'm currently working on a New Year's unit for my TPT store so look out for that and some more freebies, of course!

2 comments:

Haley said...

I have awarded you the Versatile blogger award! C'mon by my blog to pick it up!

Haley
followingoptimism.blogspot.com

Christina Morrison said...

Can you email me a copy of the tag for the cinnamon applesauce ornament please?

morrisonc@columbiak12.com